Hivemind vocabulary query


Is there a special name for the pane of glass on the front of an airplane (the one in the cockpit, where you can see where the plane is going), or am I just looking for something that doesn’t exist?

(it’s not quite for a plane, it’s for a spaceship, but for the life of me I can’t figure out the word)

Thanks in advance!


  1. Windshield? That doesn’t sound right….

  2. “For 50 years, L.P. Aero Plastics has been the worlds leading wholesale manufacturer of FAA-PMA aircraft windshields and windows for the general aviation market.”

    Found a few similar ones… seems boring, but accurate.

  3. It’s called a windshield even on the space shuttle:

  4. Windshield feels weird, but Doug is right: it’s what they call it on the space shuttle…
    Thanks everyone!
    (and yeah, Jeff, definitely sounds boring… I need to make up a better vocabulary for my spaceships :=) )

Sorry. Comments are closed on this entry.